Skip to main content

Reverse engineering the Tuya WiFi IR Remote

Three devices.
They all do the same thing (IR Transceiver) using the same app (Tuya smart home?)
I hate apps. These are Bluetooth/wifi devices.
They could simply host web pages and an API. Instead you must use their app. To that I say NO! So let's find out what makes them tick.
There's no screws on these, so time to bring out the opening tools.

Not bad. Just a few clips. A wiggle here and a wiggle there and it's open. The IR Filter plastic doesn't look transparent at all, and it's kind of thick.
I tested the IR filter with my IR fan remote, it worked perfectly.
Here are pictures through the filters.
I'm no light spectrum'ologist person, but wouldn't the pinkish one be a better filter?
First look at the PCBs, Two have the same CBU WiFi module, one is different, the w3bs.

E3s with CBU Module:

LQ-Y06 with WB3s Module:

S06-C with CBU Module:

If you're looking to connect these to HomeAssistant, this is one of the methods:

I'm also told that the WB3s module has the same footprint of the ESP8266 so it should be easy to drop it in and flash.
Modification of one of these is to be continued.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Engineering a Project List

I like to make things. I also have ADHD. The two of them don't always go together. I sometimes get ideas on what I want to make, get really into it, start a few things like ordering parts and a design, and maybe even assemble a few parts. And then I find something new. Something shiny and interesting. It's easy for me to burned out on a project, expending all my energy into it until a point of exhaustion. Or getting stuck due to lack of parts, lack of ideas on how to continue, or a lack of tooling. To combat this, I've decided to make this blog post, which I will update from time to time with my current projects, and what is keeping me from completing them. Hopefully having them listed out will allow me to sort through them, work on what I can, and get what I need to complete what I can't. So without further ado, I bring you... The Project List: CoreXY 3d printer build Lap Bed plate flat Assemble Z Axis Ballscrew Assemble Extruder Carriage...

Engineering my cat into keychain charm.

 Cats. What can I say that hasn't already been said. But this is about a process to turn a picture of my cat into a lithophane. The difficulty: the shape should match the outline of the cat. To go about this I needed 4 tools: image editing software, an image to lithophane converter, Inkscape, and a STL editor. The first step was to isolate my cat in the picture: This was probably the most time consuming aspect, carefully tracing her outline and removing the background. For this I used paint.net but you can use whatever you are familiar with. The result: After isolating her I also made a 2nd image, which will be used later for creating the outline. This image is simply the area where the background was but filled black, the inverse of above. You can see I smoothed the edges a bit too: The next step is to use a lithophane generator to create the STL. My favorite is:  http://3dp.rocks/lithophane/  . You will want to use a flat model, turn off the border, and set base/stand d...

Engineering Tonkatsu Ramen (Recipe)

I know what most people imagine when thinking about ramen. Those little pucks of noodles that we all eat to get through hard times. This is not that kind of ramen. This is a laborious adventure of meat and flavor. I have searched the internet far and wide, and didn't find a recipe that reminds me of this wonderful ramen restaurant off of the 101 in San Mateo when we went to the SF Bay Area Maker Faire. I know this likely isn't authentic, but it has flavor, oh so much flavor. It's as close as I could get to the various ramen I have tried. This recipe also makes a LOT. Typically 6 huge bowls of Ramen. It should be easy to halve. Tonkotsu Ramen Recipe  Tonkotsu Base Broth (makes 10-12 cups of stock): 5-6 pounds pork leg bone (cut into several pieces) Or 5-6lbs pork neck bones Or 5-6lbs pork ribs with bone 1.5-2 pounds chicken bones or 2lbs chicken thighs 2 inch knob fresh ginger (sliced to 4-6mm) 6-8 pieces garlic (whole) 1 large white onion (...